Friday, March 10, 2006

They like me...they really, really like me

So, I've been doing the eHarmony thing. No, it's not because I'm a sad loser who can't find a date. Well, ok, yes, in a way it is. But, y'all - I work in an office full of women and the single guys that I know are single for a REASON!

I signed up at the end of January and since then, I've been on at least 10 dates and everyone that I've met has been really nice. Have I found my true love yet? No, not yet, but there are some possibilities there. Will you be seeing me in a commercial anytime soon? Who knows? Has it been worth it? Definitely.

But here's the thing - I don't know a damn thing about adult dating. I know about high school dating. I did a lot of that. I know about getting married - I did that a year out of high school. So, my expectations are probably off. I don't know how much contact to expect from a guy that I seem to have hit it off with. If it's not to the serious one-on-one dating stage, how often should I expect to hear from him? I talked to some of my single girl friends and the consensus seems to be: expect nothing and you will not be disappointed.

And - how often does one call a guy? Is it a reciprocal thing? Is it too forward to call guys? Do they feel threatened? I'm sure I don't know so for the time being, I'm resorting to an occasional text message if I think it's been too many days without contact. If there is no response to that, then I just stop. Yes, I know that people are busy and I also know that a lot of these guys are just as confused as I am.

Where are the RULES, people? Someone write out some damn rules and post them somewhere.

And what is up with guys emailing, emailing, emailing; calling, calling, calling - then taking you out - and then....nothing. Now, I understand the "there's no chemistry there" thing, and that's fine. But, lord, y'all - just SAY so. Don't just disappear like Houdini.

All that said, it's been wonderful and if any of y'all are single and having a hard time to find someone to go out with, try it. I've met some wonderful people and it's really made it easier for me to talk to people I don't know since I'm getting so much practice at it.

0 comments: